Friday, July 04, 2008

Free on the Fourth


This is the first Fourth of July that I have been free of care for my mother, care for children, care for grandparents, care for anyone at all.

I treasure this day to set my own agenda, yet I am sad that I am not in Telluride. For me the only place to be on the Fourth is Telluride, watching the parade, going to the barbecue in the park, perhaps listening to the fireworks reverberate against the 13,000-foot peaks.

I don’t like the fireworks because they are symbols of bombs and grenades, IEDs. They are violence made pretty. Still, I want to be in Telluride and I miss her. This holiday is all about her and her home town, where I've been for nearly all the July 4s of my life. She made sure the family was there when she had young children.

In 2004 and earlier years, I took her to Telluride for the celebrations on July 4. Since 2005, I've dressed her up in red, white, and blue and taken her to lunch here, then to fireworks in the evening.

I’m sad that she doesn’t have this Fourth to Celebrate, but if she were still here, it would be a burden for me. My whole day would revolve around her.

Instead, this year I am free.

2 comments:

The Margin Wight said...

Freedom liberates and obligates us. You are free (and I am sorry for the loss of your mother) and now the burden is how to move forward, how to make time count, how to live well. I hope you find peace and write about it.

A Linstatter said...

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comment.