Sunday, September 25, 2011

Beauty at Ninety

I visited a friend's mother at Regents Point in Irvine.

Beauty everywhere... in the faces and flowers.

Her mother is 90 years old and in hospice care but still gracious and a pleasure to talk with. She even laughed deeply at one of my jokes!

At one point, mother-like, she asked "Aren't you chilly?" and I realized, yes, I was. I put on a sweater.

At her mother's nintieth birthday party last June, my friend made t-shirts with photos of her at various points in her life. Children and grandchildren each wore a t-shirt of her at the same age each is now... or of him or herself as a child with her.

From the perspective of life at its busiest, this beautiful woman's life is now much diminished, but from another viewpoint, there is still quality of life.

No comments: