Sunday, August 13, 2006

A Crazy Idea

My brother Bill called to talk about maintenance issues at the Trout Lake cabin, and I moved the conversation to the topic of Mom's care and her desire to get to Colorado.
"She may have dementia, but one thing she always talks about is wanting to get back to Colorado. I can't get any caregiver to go with me, and I can't do it alone, but if you could get a week off in September or some time, maybe we could both take her."
"Hmmm... dying woman's last wish," he responded. "Yeah, maybe I could get some time off. I'll look into it."
"I've thought about driving her, but it would mean sitting for so long in the car and many bathroom stops. I could get her on a plane, but I don't see how to do the change of planes in Phoenix onto one of those small planes that you have to walk up the stairway to get into. That's the only kind that flies into Durango. I could fly her to Denver and get her off the plane there; then we could drive to both Boulder and then down to Telluride..."
"Or fly her to Grand Junction. They have bigger planes in Grand Junction," Bill said. "It would only be a three-hour drive from Grand Junction."
"Oh yeah. That might work," I remembered.
We'll see if anything comes of this, but Bill and I might try to take her to Colorado for one last time.

No comments: