Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A Christmas Story



I made the mistake of giving Mom the Madame Alexander Doll catalogue and asking her which doll she would like for Christmas. Most dolls cost $60-$70, so I thought it would be a reasonable gift she would enjoy.
What she wanted, however, was the nativity set of Mary and Joseph with Jesus in the manger, sheep, a cow, and the surrounding stable--$300, not counting the angel doll she wanted to go with the others.
I spent a couple weeks trying to talk her into other dolls, but finally on the day after Thanksgiving I decided to order the nativity set.
"We're sold out on that, ma'am," said the salesperson when I finally courageously called in my order.
But then I felt terrible for postponing the order for so long.
What to do?
I ended up taking Beth and Laurie from her Little Women collection of Madame Alexander dolls and fashioning costumes to make them look like Mary and Joseph, and dressing a tiny baby doll as Jesus. I borrowed the stable roof from a wooden nativity set and found some sheep.
She loved her nativity set. It occupied the table in her room at Ocean View Assisted Living for the whole month of December.

No comments: